Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

Strawberry Shortcakes

Monday, May 2, 2011

Photobucket

I wanted to share with you my recipe for strawberry shortcakes.  I have not shared a recipe in a long time, and I don't know why because I have been cooking quite a bit.  We rarely eat out.


Photobucket



Strawberry Shortcakes

Ingredients

1 3/4 pounds (6 cups) strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and quartered
1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour (I use unbleached flour)
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons cold (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 cups heavy cream
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, toss strawberries with 3/4 cup sugar; let sit to bring out their juices.  (I found this to be a little too much sugar;  adjust to your taste.)

In a food processor, pulse flour, baking powder, 1/2 cup sugar, and the salt until combined. Add butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal but with some pea-size bits of butter remaining, 10 to 12 times. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup cream and the eggs; pour over flour mixture, and pulse until some large clumps begin to form, 25 to 30 times.

{If you do not have a food processor, use a pastry cutter or fork to cut-in the butter until it resembles a course meal.  Then add the egg mixture and stir until clumps form.}

Using a half-cup measuring cup, gently pack dough, invert, and then tap out onto a baking sheet. Repeat to form 8 biscuits. Bake until lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool, about 15 minutes.

Beat remaining 1 1/2 cups cream and 2 tablespoons sugar with the vanilla until soft peaks form.

Slice biscuits in half horizontally using a sharp, serrated knife. They will slice better at room temperature.  Spoon strawberries using a slotted spoon over bottom halves. Spoon whipped cream on strawberries, and replace top halves of biscuits.


Photobucket




Until next time...



Blessings!
Ricki Jill

13 comments

  1. Looks YUMMY! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!
    Ricki that painting you did is amazing!!! OMG you are sooo good!!!!

    Pamela ox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delicious. Yes, this is how strawberry shortcake is suppose to be not made with sponge cake or angel food cake which most people do. My Mom used to make this for me for every birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny, my husband has been asking me to make strawberry shortcake! This looks divine! I'm definitely bookmarking it. :)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gnam-gnam-adoro le fragole e adoro la panna!BUONE!!!Buona giornata,Rosetta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I wish I was eating that right now! It looks delish. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Tell me, that first picture of your kitchen above...did you paint that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look delicious and beautiful! Did you paint this picture of your kitchen? Georgous! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how delicious. I can't wait to pick fresh strawberries from the garden to use in this perfect dessert. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! Just whip some up and post them to me, would you? Hehe! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG that looks so yummy! Too bad I am on a diet so I can fit into my summer clothes before our vacation! :( But after vacay...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH My! This looks totally amazing! I am hoping to go strawberry picking on Saturday, I see this recipe in my future! THanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your art and your strawberry shortcake has me droolin'...I want some.
    ~Jo
    LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Ricki,

    Thank you for the comment about the
    giveaway at Holiday with Matthew Mead.

    You couldn't have said it better
    I felt like Lucky Duck!

    Please take a moment to check out my
    giveaway announcement for Holiday
    with Matthew Mead readers.

    Enjoy this beautiful day!

    Best,

    Coastal Blue Ocean
    www.coastalblueocean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are friendly!


Hello!

I'm Ricki Jill. Welcome! I'm honored that you're reading my blog. I enjoy sharing my creative lifestyle @ The Bookish Dilettante. For more information about my blog, please read the Start Here page. Thank-you for stopping by, and I hope you'll consider following me via email.

Follow me on Instagram