Cherry Crumble Coffee Cake

Sunday, July 24, 2011

I agreed to write a guest post for Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life a few weeks ago, and I had technical difficulties.  {big surprise}  ;P  If you have never visited Elaine, you can do so here.  Her blog is one of my favorites!  I love her voice; she writes about all kinds of practical and fun topics.  

I have a little rectangular baker that reminds me of Elaine, and it came with a recipe for a delicious cherry crumble coffee cake.


Cherry Crumble Coffee Cake


1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup finely chopped almonds (I actually used slivered almonds)
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup fresh or frozen cherries, chopped and pitted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

To make the crumble:
In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, four, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Add butter; using a pastry blender, mix well.  Add almonds and oats, mix together, and set aside.

To make the cake:
In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.  Add butter; using a pastry blender, mix until ingredients resemble coarse crumbs.  In a small bowl, lightly beat egg, buttermilk, and vanilla.  Add to dry ingredients; fold until smooth.  Pour batter into buttered 8" X 10" rectangular baker.  Scatter cherries over the surface; sprinkle crumble evenly over top of cake.  Bake until cake has risen and turned golden, about fifty minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool for twenty-five minutes.  Serve warm.  Serves 8 - 10.


I hope you will bake this cake and enjoy it with your favorite coffee.  I recommend Starbucks' Caffe Verona.

Until next time...

Ricki Jill


  1. Lovely looking cake, just the sort the Senior Partner would enjoy so thanks for the recipe.
    I'll have to find a Starbucks substitute though, as they haven't made it out into rural Normandy yet!

  2. This looks amazing..and those are two of my favourite culinary words...

    put them together..and WOW! I will have to save this recipe to my iPad for future use! thanks so much for sharing!
    Have a great Day!

    ciao bella
    Creative Carmelina

  3. That just looks wonderful. My favorite coffee is Wallingford's French Vanilla, though. It would be perfect with your cake, too. ;)

  4. Oh, yum! Cherry & cobbler & crumbs ... I'm in!
    Have a beautiful week ~
    TTFN ~

  5. That baking dish goes perfect with the cherry crumble coffee cake. Cherries are my favorite fruit. That would taste so good with coffee. The checkered red forks are darling.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

  6. This sounds absolutely wonderful! I'll have to see if I can adapt this(we're gluten-free.)Thanks for sharing.

  7. That looks delish! I haven't baked anything in some time between the heatwave & my son not being able to eat anything yet. I'll have to try this one soon.

  8. Looks wonderful! Hope you saved a piece for me!

    Hope you will please drop by and enter my $50 Gift Card Giveaway!!

  9. Oh Ricki! Our blog posts for Monday have the same theme. You are tempting me ;-)

  10. Oh now that looks delicious!!! I may have to try that!!

  11. This sounds so yummy!!! You had me hooked with that picture of Rainier Cherries, love those!!!

  12. I hadn't seen this. Was just hanging with the fam yesterday. You didn't have to mention me but that was sweet. I love Ranier cherries the best. They are all along roadside stands up in WA. Nothing like them. This looks so good and yes I love you little dish and it would love living in my kitchen but since we aren't neighbors (which we should be) I guess I won't try to borrow it.

  13. Man, that coffee cake looks delicious! I really like Elaine's blog also.

  14. Yum! We've been snacking on cherries all week at the beach!


I read and appreciate all of your comments :D

Back to Top