Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

Literary Friday: Definitely Not Mr. Darcy

Friday, November 11, 2011

Photobucket

This week I read Definitely Not Mr. Darcy by Karen Doornebos.  I absolutely loved this book, and I laughed out loud many times while reading it.  Shanley Belle took the book to her dorm before I could write this post because she could tell how much I enjoyed it.

Chloe Parker, a 38 year old divorcee with an eight year old daughter, is on the verge of bankruptcy.  Her upscale printing business has been impacted by the sluggish economy: no one wants to purchase her lovely hand pressed and embossed stationary and invitations anymore. In spite of her divorce, Chloe is a hopeless romantic at heart and loves Regency England.  She is a member of the Jane Austen Society, so she jumps at the chance to audition for a documentary about her favorite author.  Chloe's audition tape and biography was well-received by the producers, so she travels to the English countryside to begin filming.

Chloe quickly discovers that she has been duped.  Upon arrival in England, she realizes that she has not been cast for a documentary. Instead, she has been cast as a contestant in a Regency "Bachelor" type reality TV show complete with country estates and a dashing, wealthy bachelor looking for a wife.  Every little detail on the set(s) is Regency; there are no modern conveniences: no running water, deodorant, or Facebook.  The only reminders of the twenty-first century are the ever-present ATV's and cameras.

Chloe needs to win the prize money to save her business.  But she must complete tasks like making her own ink and learning Regency dances to win "accomplishment points." Accomplishment points earn contestants one on one dates with the dashing Sebastian Wrightman, the bachelor of the show. Contestants are eliminated and sent home during the invitation ceremonies. Being the underdog American in the competition and the last contestant to begin competing, Chloe must use everything she has learned through the Jane Austen Society to even have a chance to advance to the next round.

For those of you who love Regency romance novels, Definitely Not Mr. Darcy will give you a modern girl's dose of reality.  The eighteenth century is not romanticized in this book at all, and Chloe's difficulty in adapted to the culture even with her knowledge makes for a very funny read. I hope you will read it, too, and cheer for Chloe's victories and wince at her missteps like I did.

Until next time...

Happy Reading!
Ricki Jill

14 comments

  1. Hi Ricki,
    This book sounds very interesting. I hope your weekend is going well. I have just passed on an award to you. The details are on my Blog. Take care and my best wishes to you.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ricki, I love this kind of books, as I love this kind of movies! Another book to get and enjoy! I'd love you to remind me when the party is going to be so I can link with my latest reading...I am a great reader, I always got books, even two at the same time, lol! Lots of hugs, FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds good! Now I have to find it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes1 I just bought three new books last night, and this was NOT one of them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds hilarious. Another one for the book list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that does sound good! I laughed out loud reading your synopsis!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished "Pride and Prejudice" today so this would be a great follow up! I'm re-reading Elizabeth Eulbergs "Prom and Prejudice" while I watch the boring Alabama/State game!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a book that I'd enjoy. Sadly, I'm still reading a book that I started when I went back to work in August. Christmas break should give me some reading time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will have to read this one! Even the title made me laugh out loud! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like such a delightful book. I will put it on my list, for sure.
    Have a good Sunday.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well this sounds like a great book! i think i am ready to get it on my kindle soon!!!

    big hugs
    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was laughing just reading the description! I'm sure life in Austen's day was not nearly as romantic as we imagine. Not sure I'd be up to going "back in time" like that! Off to look this book up right now--sounds like fun. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are friendly!


Hello!

I'm Ricki Jill. Welcome! I'm honored that you're reading my blog. I enjoy sharing my creative lifestyle @ The Bookish Dilettante. For more information about my blog, please read the Start Here page. Thank-you for stopping by, and I hope you'll consider following me via email.

Follow me on Instagram