Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

Literary Friday: Creative Walls

Friday, January 27, 2012

Photobucket



This week I have been reading two books:  Creative Walls by Geraldine James, and Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.  Shantaram is over 900 pages, so I have not quite finished reading it.  I will post about it next Friday.

I enjoyed Creative Walls.  {Mostly.}  I do not know why I tortured myself reading this book because we have very little wall space in our home.  I would love to incorporate some of the creative ideas so beautifully photographed in this book on our {few} walls.  One of my favorite chapters in the book is Children's and Students' Spaces: It was loaded with truly creative and affordable ideas.  Shanley will be living in an apartment next year at college, and I think she will find inspiration in this chapter.

Ideas I Love in Creative Walls

1.     Life-size GAP poster from the 1980's filling the wall opposite a doorway
2.     Memory board covered in concert tickets
3.     Pretty vintage bottles from the collectibles chapter
4.     Postcards and greeting cards displayed behind a vintage vanity
5.     Gorgeous art collections


Photobucket



Photobucket


Photobucket




Photobucket

This image is from my copy of the book.  It is one of my favorite ideas and photos.  I would love to paint it one day!



What I did not care for: the overabundance of dead animals and dead animal parts on walls throughout the book.  I did a quick count, and I counted at least 43 pages out of 224 that have dead animal parts, mostly antlers.  But there are also skulls, horns, skeletons, stuffed animals, and other specimens.  One bar area had antlers and horns in graduated sizes with a menacing-looking stuffed swan standing guard over the bottles.  I do not have anything dead in my house, including dried flowers.  This is my only criticism, though.  But please do not let this stop you from checking out Creative Walls.  I think you will find it inspiring overall.

Until next time...

Happy reading!
Ricki Jill

14 comments

  1. I like the bottles in the window. Very springy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love wall collages but I agree with about the dead animals. I have never like antlers on a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say the photo of the delicate dishes against the brick wall is stunning. I love it.

    And...I have to agree with you about the dead animals. This is coming from a person who isn't even an animal lover. It's just not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the very color cohesive and fun wall of plates. The Bottles as well!! I did a water color of glass bottles and have somehow lost it along the way!

    Dead things is not my style either Ricki Jill!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bellissime queste collezioni!Adoro i piatti!Baci,Rosetta

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the dishes on the brick wall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the chintzy plates on the brick wall but the bottles on the window sill would drive me crazy! Too much clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol you crack me up about the dead animals.
    I rather enjoy the decorating with antlers and we even have some skulls. They are memories of my dads ranch. All have a story with them.
    But this is why we all have our own style of decorating.
    Books are a lovely inspiration but once again, there is no right or wrong to me in decorating. It is all what the home owner loves to be surrounded in.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colors in the picture of the bottles---really cool in an older home especially. I also like some of the rose/floral paintings . I do NOT like the antler look going on even in blogland ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to see you paint that, those bottles are sooo pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI RICKY I TANK YOU FOR YOUR VISIT TO MAY BLOG .I LOVE YOUR LOVELY HAPPY POST AND ALL THE IMAGES FOR CREATING A BEAUTIFUL WALLS..XOXO...SANDRA

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all of the beautiful bottles! I have a few and sure like decorating with them! Enjoy your weekend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photographs. I definitely want to check this out. I don't care to have dead animal parts in my own home, but I have sold antlers, which were naturally shed from deer in my shop. I love the colored bottles. They are on of my favorites.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Comments are friendly!


Hello!

I'm Ricki Jill. Welcome! I'm honored that you're reading my blog. I enjoy sharing my creative lifestyle @ The Bookish Dilettante. For more information about my blog, please read the Start Here page. Thank-you for stopping by, and I hope you'll consider following me via email.

Follow me on Instagram