Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

Literary Friday: The Vintage Modern Home

Friday, January 13, 2012

Photobucket



I have been reading a couple of books this week, but I have not been able to put down The Vintage Modern Home by Katherine Sorrell.  What a fantastic book!  This book is one of my favorite Christmas gifts.  I love the mixture of vintage and modern, and I have read many books on the subject.  The reason I appreciate The Vintage Modern Home is because it is realistic for how we live today.  One example (of many) would be from the Essentials section: There is a chapter entitled Technology.  We are living in the 21st Century; technology is here to stay.  Not only are there more than 310 stunning photos, the text is also helpful and well written.

The book's premise is that most of us cannot afford to decorate a home totally from scratch.  We have inherited and collected pieces we love, and we do not want to part with them anyway.  This book gives great tips for combining disparate decorative elements into a cohesive whole. The sections and chapters are very well organized, and the last section contains real rooms from real homes in a variety of different styles, from Classic Elegance, to Retro Colour and French Polish.


Photobucket

What a lovely place to dine!  This photo is from the French Polish section.



Photobucket

I would love to have a reading nook like this one!



Photobucket

You have to love a book that includes a chapter on pink accents!



Photobucket

There are lovely antiques in the book, and there are some great pointers for living with antiques.



Photobucket

This photo is from the section on scale, and I think this room is stunning.



What have you been reading this week?

Until next time...

Happy reading!
Ricki Jill

11 comments

  1. At times I am torn as to what style my decorating really is. This seems to be the best fit that I have seen so far. I have so many older pieces I need to work into a design that I want to look modern and fun. I think I'm heading over to amazon.com!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to put that on my must-read list. One of my favorite things to do is also the hardest - mixing my old antiques with my new decor. If you're not careful, you can wind up with a room that looks like grandmom's. It is a great look though, once it's achieved.
    Thanks RJ and have an awesome weekend.
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mix, too! There's something exciting about juxtaposing opposites in the same environment - old and new, rustic and refined, ornate and simple. This sounds like a good one. You're such a renaissance woman, Ricki Jill! Love that about you. :)
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excited to read this book someday. I pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great book RJ. I need it! I'm looking for ideas for something fresh and I don't have a clue!
    Have a great weekend………….

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll definitely have to look for this, as I am such an eclectic kind of girl.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have shelves like the ones you show from the book. Long ago we removed shelves that the previous owner built with the intention of replacing them and never did. One side of our attic is full of my husband's (mostly war) books that really should be displayed. Now I've got shelves on my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ricki Jill!
    Loving that blue velvet chaise in the reading nook.
    That lucious shade of navy royal is so yummy!
    Got some books for Christmas and have yet to crack them open!

    Thanks for sharing these.
    xox
    A

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love those bookshelves! As you know, I am working on that right now! More inspiration, love it! Oh, and the armoire in the other image is gorgeous. Looks like a lovely book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well ya know I don't get to read much
    but I do get to read bedtime stories
    the best little book this week is
    Little Miss Austen
    A counting book done on Pride and Prejudice
    So stinkin' sweet it hurts.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Comments are friendly!


Hello!

I'm Ricki Jill. Welcome! I'm honored that you're reading my blog. I enjoy sharing my creative lifestyle @ The Bookish Dilettante. For more information about my blog, please read the Start Here page. Thank-you for stopping by, and I hope you'll consider following me via email.

Follow me on Instagram