Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

Literary Friday: Gracious Spaces

Friday, March 2, 2012

Photobucket


I highly recommend you pick up a copy of Gracious Spaces by Phyllis Hoffman.  As you probably know, Phyllis Hoffman is the editor and publisher of Southern Lady Magazine, and she made so many of us happy when she brought back Victoria Magazine.  This book reflects her style, elegance, and attention to detail that we have come to expect from her stunning magazines. Gracious Spaces is such a treat!  Although it has been out since 2009, I had not read it until recently.  The book is so inspirational, and it's practical. Journal pages and recipes are included, and the photography is breathtaking.

Two of the larger sections in the book are entitled "Enchanting Details" and "Artful Embellishments."  Although many styles are represented in the book, Hoffman is definitely an anglophile at heart.  The English are so astute at adding lovely finishing details to their designs, and this book illustrates this tradition beautifully.  Like the accessories we wear, our rooms' finishing touches are what make them unique and reveal much about the personalities who inhabit them.  I was so inspired by the "Put it in Writing" pages with its gorgeous writing desk and antique desk accoutrements that I decided to use my tiny secretary for correspondence. I do agree with Hoffman that personal, hand-written letters should be valued and treasured.

Photobucket


Photobucket

I love all the little cubbies in this desk.  There is a tiny little pen holder to the right of the small drawer (you can barely see it).

Until next time...

Happy reading!
Ricki Jill


11 comments

  1. I love your writing desk!! Stunning!! I would spend a lot of time at this gorgeous baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful writing desk. It just seems to fit with my image of you that you would write beautiful hand-written notes.

    I keep falling behind in my blog hopping and just went back and read all the posts I had missed (many apologies for my absences). My overwhelming impression was that you have such a happy blog. I loved your mini-paintings. They are so pretty and I am especially impressed now that I have taken an art class and see how hard it is to get anything onto a canvas that looks like what it is supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, pretty! What are those artichokish looking flowers in your Mackenzie-Childs pitcher?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to check our local newstands for that magazine ... it looks very interesting. Also love your last post on spring daffs - ours are just starting to open ... I should pick them before the cold front hits us here on the eastern shore ...

    All the best,
    Katie
    www.westiejulep.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is soooo lovely. There is nothing like a lovely bouquet to make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I will have to pick that magazine up xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool! I kept all the letters that my husband and I wrote while he was away with the military. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cubbies are the best. Hope all is well. Haven't seen a post in a few days so I hope that means you are just busy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, let's send each other a lovely letter on pretty papers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, let's send each other a lovely letter on pretty papers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful desk! I love letters and cards from friends and family...sadly, it seems to be a lost art. I love the book too.

    I'm a new follower via Ginger's blog. So happy to have found you...your blog is beautiful!

    Stop by and say hi when you can ~
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Comments are friendly!


Hello!

I'm Ricki Jill. Welcome! I'm honored that you're reading my blog. I enjoy sharing my creative lifestyle @ The Bookish Dilettante. For more information about my blog, please read the Start Here page. Thank-you for stopping by, and I hope you'll consider following me via email.

Follow me on Instagram