Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

Literary Friday: A Winter Dream

Friday, January 18, 2013


Our succulent wreath quickly becoming covered in snow


I was planning on writing a post for my blog yesterday.  Truly I was, but I got sidetracked by a snow storm.  :D  I watched it snow all afternoon, drank tea, and enjoyed laughing and talking to Mr. Art @ Home.

For this post, we need some mood music  ;P


She & Him "Baby It's Cold Outside"


Appropriately enough, I read Richard Paul Evans' A Winter's Dream this week.  It is a very short novel, and you could probably read it in an afternoon.



One of my Christmas presents


A Winter Dream is an allegory for Joseph and his coat of many colors story from the Bible. When I was a little girl in Sunday School, this story frightened me more than any other.  I'm an only child, and I thought it was so terrible that brothers would treat another brother so cruelly. It almost made me happy to be a lonely only!

In this retelling of the story, Joseph Jacobson, the twelfth child in a family of thirteen children, is the creative tour de force of his family's Denver-based advertising agency.  And you've probably already guessed that he's also his father's favorite.  When his little brother Ben is caught embezzling from the agency, Joseph wants to protect him from prosecution by repaying Ben's debt.  But the older brothers cruelly blackmail Joseph into leaving Denver and everything he holds dear: his job, family, and girlfriend.

The brothers arranged for Joseph to work with an ad agency in Chicago, and what seems like a hopeless situation quickly turns into a blessing.  Joseph has vivid dreams which guide him, and little excerpts from his journal give the reader interesting insights into Joseph's growth.

Of course if you're familiar with the biblical Joseph then you can probably predict what will happen in the book.  This is the first of Evans' books I've read, and he is known for The Christmas Box.




Richard Paul Evans discusses A Winter Dream and his career.



What are you reading?  This is a linky!

Until next time...

Happy reading!
Ricki Jill

11 comments

  1. What a special treat! I don't imagine you get too many snowfalls where you live. Cute video. My favorite version of "Baby It's Cold Outside" is Ann-Margret and Al Hirt. Have you ever heard it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't the snow yesterday so much fun! The weather knew you needed it just for your book selection. I have seen this one in the stores and thought about it. I will have to add it to my To Be Read pile.

    Hope you have a wonderful day
    Hugs
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about your snow storm -- WOW! Hope you didn't lose power or anything! Stay warm.

    This book sounds great. I haven't read this author before. Thanks for sharing and for hosting, Ricki Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting- I don't see many retellings of that story. Especially set in modern times. Enjoy the snow, you lucky duck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're getting the snow tonight and tomorrow and now I have a great read to tunnel in with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ricki Jill, wasn't that the sweetest snow yesterday. Even though it was short lived I enjoyed it.
    Cute video, one of my favorite songs too. I wondered how you would like this book!
    Enjoy the much needed sunshine this week.........

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must have been thrilled with the snow. I hope it didn't kill your wreath. We haven't had snow yet and it's a little disturbing to say the least. Chicago is so used to snowy winters and last year it was very mild, too. The rest of the Midwest seems to be doing well.

    The book sounds interesting. I didn't know this was a linky party. I have to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still can't get over the fact that it snowed in Alabama! Stay warm!

    That book sounds great. I'll have to add it to my list. I've been reading Dragonfly in Amber. Yes, you've hooked me on the Outlander series!

    Also, has my blog button always been on your sidebar? It's the first time I noticed it. Many thanks for displaying it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an interesting premise for the story - a modern-day Joseph.

    I'm glad you just sat and enjoyed the snow. Nothing feels cozier than a wild day outside and you inside with a cup of tea and those you love safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a neat way to spend the afternoon, watching the snow, drinking tea, being with your Mr. I do love the winter snow but am not good at getting exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I seem to be always reading books for work that fiction has taken a real sidebar....got to change that. You are such a devoted reader RJ, I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are friendly!


Hello!

I'm Ricki Jill. Welcome! I'm honored that you're reading my blog. I enjoy sharing my creative lifestyle @ The Bookish Dilettante. For more information about my blog, please read the Start Here page. Thank-you for stopping by, and I hope you'll consider following me via email.

Follow me on Instagram