Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

Literary Friday: The Vintage Tea Party Book

Friday, March 15, 2013


For the past couple of weeks I've been reading The Vintage Tea Party Book by Angel Adoree.  I. Love.  This.  BOOK!  :D  It's the cutest tea party book I've ever read.  You really need to go to your local library and check it out.  I bet you'll want to buy a copy once you do.  I did! 

Normally I don't include the book synopsis from the back of the book in my book reviews, but I love the synopsis on the back of The Vintage Tea Party:

Angel Adoree cordially invites you to accompany her on a journey to create your perfect vintage tea party. Expect glamour, roses, rabbits, headscarves, foxes, teapots, crows, parlour games, cake stands, hair and make-up tips and, not forgetting, humongous amounts of magical tea party food that is fit for the Queen of England, and easy enough for you to make.

Angel Adoree was a favorite on BBC's The Dragons' Den (the Brits' version of Shark Tank). She wowed the judges with her Vintage Patisserie business plan:  Vintage Tea Party events in unusual venues.  I enjoyed reading the autobiographical information about Angel.  Her story is amazing!

The Vintage Tea Party is divided into three main sections:  Brunch, Afternoon, and Evening.  I loved the brunch section....the idea of a tea party for breakfast is something I love because breakfast is usually my favorite meal of the day.  There is also a section on style that's fun, too. The pretty vintage vignettes with interesting cups, plates, teapots, and other oddities would make any tea party *fun*  (not to mention the fantastic collection of recipes).   I read every single recipe, and they all sound delicious!   I've only tried two and I was very happy with the results of both.  The original artwork by Angel and the photography is eye candy.  I have spent hours looking at this wonderful book, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I!




Scones with lavender cream



Angel Adoree
Isn't she cute!  Her favorite style is vintage forties.



I decided to throw my own breakfast tea party inspired by The Vintage Tea Party Book.  I chose the seventies for my inspiration.  I think the table has a slight seventies vibe!  Shelley is having a difficult time waking up and starting her day with the time change.  Special French toast might be just the ticket to get Shelley up and dressed for school!






My grandmother gave me the teacups, creamer, and sugar bowl for Christmas.













Blueberry and maple pancake elephant cookies









French toast 





Toasted Chocolate Shamrocks

Ingredients:
1 brioche loaf
6 T Nutella
2 eggs, beaten
3 T butter
Caster sugar or powdered sugar to taste

Procedure:

1.  Cut 12 slices of brioche 1/2 inch thick.
2.  Spread 6 slices with a tablespoon of Nutella each.  Place the other 6 slices on top to make sandwiches.  Cut into shamrock shapes with a cookie cutter.
3.  Coat each sandwich with a little beaten egg.  Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the sandwiches on a medium heat until golden brown on both sides.  Serve immediately.
4.  Sprinkle generously with sugar and serve!

Adapted from The Vintage Tea Party Book.

Resources:
Tablecloth, tecups, creamer, sugar, berry basket, plates, and jam jar:  Anthropologie
Napkins:  Pier 1
Berry bowls, berry spoon, serving bowl, flower pot:  MacKenzie-Childs
Berry basket and cookie cutter:  Williams-Sonoma
Toast rack:  One Kings Lane




The Vintage Tea Party Year will be released on April 23. 
I've pre-ordered it!



What have you been reading lately?  This is a linky!


Until next time...
Happy reading!
Ricki Jill

18 comments

  1. You just inspired me!! Tomorrow is my daughter's 6th birthday and I'm going to surprise her with a tea party birthday breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I come over for tea please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well! Since I collect Tea Books... I WILL be getting this one!
    FUN! Thanks for the cute review and hosting!

    ~Liz

    P.S. is it bad to include the back of the book synopsis? eek! I almost always do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL no, not at all! It's just that I read about four books in a row a couple of years ago and the synopsis did not resemble the book at all! I have a book club with a Facebook page and we were laughing about it over there. When they're cute and accurate like the synopsis for The Tea Party Book, I use them! ;P

      Delete
  4. If I'm ever in your neck of the woods can I come over for a tea party? Everything looks so wonderful.
    The book sounds fantastic. I think I'll have to pick up a copy for my sister. She's the hostess with the mostest in our family :o) Plus is adores all things tea party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I would love this delightful book RJ. What a cute idea to throw yourself a tea party for you and Shelly! What fun you and your girls have. The table looks adorable, and I love the shamrock French toast!!!
    Happy weekend.....

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun tablecloth. This book sounds like it would be perfect for my daughter. She is always hosting brunches and teas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a GREAT tea party book. You did a nice job making your own tea party special there- LOVE it! I don't know where you find the time to read and do all that you do- my reading is neglected- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blessing for the day; it's one of my favorite verses! And breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Yours is lovely and I'm sure the French toast was yummy. Your grandmother has excellent taste in gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ricki Jill,
    I love tea and this book sounds like so much fun. Your table settings look so pretty and make me hungry for brunch.
    Have a great weekend,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to have to see if our library has this book! You are such an awesome Mom. I love your settings.

    I hope to be able to link up. I have a few books I need to do reviews for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of a tea party! How darling. :)
    You always find and share the most unusual, interesting books. How do you find this stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will definitely read this book! History and tea all in one. Your shamrock breakfast looks delicious. I LOVE nutella and your table is so pretty! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll definitely have to buy this book. Tea parties are the best and your breakfast one is so cute. How could your daughter not want to jump out of bed for that? The shamrock toast looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ricki Jill, I've picked this book up at Anthro several times and thumbed through it, so tempted to buy it! My cookbooks runneth over, I may have to give into the temptation! Love your MC table for tea and I recognize that adorable bird sugar bowl from Anthro too :) Your Nutella shamrock looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my goodness! I want the book, I want the french toast, I want to sit at that table!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We loved Angel Adoree's books on our blog too and even just hosted our own tea party! Her books fill you with inspiration! Check out our party post if you have a chance..
    http://littleyellowcouch.com/living-a-connected-life/2013/10/11/little-yellow-couch-high-tea
    Karen June

    ReplyDelete

Comments are friendly!


Hello!

I'm Ricki Jill. Welcome! I'm honored that you're reading my blog. I enjoy sharing my creative lifestyle @ The Bookish Dilettante. For more information about my blog, please read the Start Here page. Thank-you for stopping by, and I hope you'll consider following me via email.

Follow me on Instagram