Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

I Read Banned Books

Sunday, September 22, 2013



Happy Banned Books Week! 

We are blessed with many rights as Americans, and the right to read is one of the most sacred.  Remember that Hitler seized books once he'd collected the citizens' guns. Our Constitution is under attack from both sides of the political spectrum, and we need to protect all of our rights as Americans.   

You might be asking,  "What is Banned Books Week all about?"  Banned Books Week's purpose is to celebrate the freedom to read and to raise awareness about books that are challenged and/or banned.  According to the ALA:

"A challenge is an attempt to remove or restrict materials, based upon the objections of a person or group. A banning is the removal of those materials. Challenges do not simply involve a person expressing a point of view; rather, they are an attempt to remove material from the curriculum or library, thereby restricting the access of others. As such, they are a threat to freedom of speech and choice."

Do I believe that kids should be able to read whatever they want to read? Absolutely not.  That's what parents are for: Parents should make the right decision for their children, not someone else.  I have previewed countless numbers of YA books for both my girls, and I've said no to several because I felt that they were inappropriate for them at the time.  But did I go and pitch a fit at the library or at school? No.  Parents should be more engaged in what their kids are reading.  My daughters and I have bonded over many books and/or YA series.

Here are some book that were either challenged or banned during the 2012-2013 school year.  I have read both of these books, and they are compelling, well-written books.




The next book was also on the list, and I plan to read it soon:



By the way:  Romeo and Juliet also made this list.  Yep. I can't make stuff like this up.  Not my favorite of Shakespeare's tragedies, but it shouldn't be banned, either.


Fifty Shades of Grey made the list, too,  and I am banning it in our home.  I don't want Mr. Art @ Home getting any ideas!  :/

Until next time...

Celebrate your Freedom to Read!
Ricki Jill


13 comments

  1. I've never read Fifty Shades Of Gray but have no desire. It just sounds like a really bad read of sex over and over and over. Just don't see why anyone would want to read it.

    Romeo and Juliet banned? Really? It was required reading back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree!
    People need to take account for their own lives and children. Pay attention and raise them age appropriately.
    You are awesome for getting involved!
    I am amazed that others want to blame schools or libraries for having things, what happened to parenting and just saying no?
    I see kids B's age watching movies and books in his section full of violence, heck no! But that is what we as parents need to pay attention to.
    What is our child ready for? My son is totally not ready to see or read such things. But am I going to make a stink about it, nope we move on to the section that is more appropriate for his mind.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's bazaar to me that someone thinks they can ban what others read. I will tell you that in my school district, banned and challenged books were there. The teachings just had to be sensitive. I'm ok with that. I'm curious why The Perks of Being a Wallflower was challenged...I haven't read it or seen the movie but I'd like to.

    Stayed up really late last night and finished The Girl Who Chased the Moon. Loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree reading books are a freedom and it is the parent who should be aware of what their children are reading. Also I wouldn't want my husband getting any ideas from, "Shades of Gray"....hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wise post!

    I remember as a teenager reading a book that supposedly had been banned when my mother was my age, I think. Seems to me like it was called Forever Amber or something like that. I don't remember being terrible shocked by it. Anyone remember that, or if I have the name right?

    I now ban extremely cynical and depressing books--not for others but for myself because I know what they do to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bigbad and I just saw The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and I'm thinking of requesting it from the library. I was surprised how much I liked it.

    I agree that not all books are for all children, but if institutions like libraries or schools ban books, they may be saying no to books that one child needs. That book that isn't appropriate for one may be the one that another requires for either a literacy spark or to grow in competency.

    I can see why Alexi's novel is banned, and I have trouble recommending it to some students although it probably ranks up as one of my favorite YA books. I guess I needed it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WoW!!!!! Was just about to order that John Green book since my daughter loved The Fault in Our Stars. She devoured Perks of Being a Wallflower after I had given up on her finding anything to read she liked...AND my son read that third book like 3 years ago....feeling pretty good about myself right about now...lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so funny with the 50 Shades book. I haven't read it yet. Heard people say it got boring...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read Perks of being a Wallflower and Looking for Alaska. More than the compelling issues raised on these books, I actually appreciate them because they are well written. The words used were simple yet meaningful.

    PS Been a while since I last visited your blog Ricki :) I've been so busy over the past months. I miss reading your posts and linking up with your Literary Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, I still haven't read 50 shades ... not that I have anything against it just cause I'm not quite sure I want to spend money on buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have 50 shade... just have not read it yet. It was a book given to me by my old co-worker. I know the girls enjoyed it and are thrilled the actor who plays Jax from Sons of Anarchy will be Christian. Maybe I need to watch it before the girls and I go see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will never understand the banning of books. If you don't like it, don't read it-stop trying to tell other people to limit their brains just because you want to. I've read perks, and Looking for Alaska is on my list (I LOVED his other one-The Fault in Our Stars) and I'll have to check out that other!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are friendly!


Hello!

I'm Ricki Jill. Welcome! I'm honored that you're reading my blog. I enjoy sharing my creative lifestyle @ The Bookish Dilettante. For more information about my blog, please read the Start Here page. Thank-you for stopping by, and I hope you'll consider following me via email.

Follow me on Instagram