Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday Confessional: A Wee Bit Steampunk Obsessed, Lass?

Friday, November 22, 2013

Happy Friday Evening, Sweeties!

It's time for Friday Confessional, and I have a lot to confess about my Steampunk addiction.




What is Steampunk???  According to the Urban Dictionary:
Steampunk is a subgenre of speculative fiction, usually set in an anachronistic Victorian or quasi-Victorian alternate history setting. It could be described by the slogan "What the past would look like if the future had happened sooner." It includes fiction with science fiction, fantasy or horror themes. [It can also be] a lifestyle choice, wherein the participants embrace deliberate anachronism and quasi-anachronism as seen in steampunk fiction. Often characterized by modifying one's electronic gadgets to make them look a century out-of-date.


I confess…

I confess that I love {most} things Steampunk!!!
My all-time favorite YA series is Cassandra Clare's The Infernal Devices….possibly party due to the Steampunk goodness of Victorian London.



I confess…

I confess that Steampunk can be Oh! so *pretty*
For example:








I confess…
I confess that I've been very intrigued with Steampunk Interiors.






I so love this lamp…..*le sigh*….


But it must be duly noted that I liked it before it has become mainstream.

I confess…

I confess that it weakens the coolness factor of it all when anything becomes mainstream, and that makes me sad!!!


I'd consider Restoration Hardware mainstream, yet on the higher end price wise.

If I ever live in a loft, I'd definitely add some Steampunk cuteness to my decor!

I confess…
I confess that I have an unhealthy obsession with NBC's Dracula.  Here's why:

1.  Jonathan Rhys-Myers as Dracula
2.  The setting is Victorian London
3.  The style is Steampunk
4.  The production company is the same one that produces Downton Abbey so visually it is soooooo pretty!!!  I love the sets, costumes, and little details.
5.   Jonathan Rhys-Myers as Dracula
6.   Action-packed
7.   Very conflicted characters
8.   Jonathan Rhys-Myers as Dracula

{I confess that I'm a fan of Jonathan Rhys-Myers…}
BTW He played Valentine in City of Bones (most horrible villain ever…even worse than Voldemort IMHO), and he played King Henry VIII in The Tudors.



Cast of Dracula



Grayson (Dracula) comforts Mina in his Steampunk-licious lab.


Video
The Making of Dracula


Are any of you watching Dracula?  It airs Friday nights @ 10/9C.  :D 

I confess…
I confess that I'm not quite so sure I'm ready to incorporate Steampunk into my Christmas decor just yet…

But he's cute, isn't he???


I confess…
I confess that I might need a Steampunk 12-step program….and soon!

What do you have to confess?  Join Aubrey @ High-Heeled Love for Friday Confessional!

Until next time…

Blessings!
Ricki Jill

9 comments

  1. You never cease to fascinate me with all of the different things you are into! Sometimes I think I live under a rock! That ornament is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know I loved steampunk (I even love the word) until a trip to New Orleans and didn't even know that's what I was seeing..but I love it too...such use of the imagination

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must confess my favorite of your list about Dracula is #1, 5 and 8. :-) And yet, I couldn't make it through the first episode. I really, really didn't like it. I'm hoping it is on demand so I can try it again. Have a great weekend!
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had heard of Steampunk but I really fell in love with it after reading Zoe Archer's Blades of the Rose series. Steampunk, magic, romance, adventure. Those books give me happy book sighs. I also love the look of Steampunk. The first time I mentioned it on my blog, I had so many comments from people that they had never heard of it. It's far more common now. But still so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I confess I too like Steampunk, and I would L O V E to find that lamp. We just had to buy a new ceiling light for the dining room. The chandeliers we found were all bigger than our little dining room. The one I favored was a bit steampunk and had lightbulbs like the great lamp you showed. Alas, Steve does not favor steampunk so we went with a traditional ceiling light.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And as I'm fond of telling steampunk folks out here...."It isn't all shades of brown!". The League of S.T.E.A.M. is one of my favorite go-tos for steampunk inspiration (http://www.youtube.com/user/LeagueOfSTEAM), so I join you in your addiction. :)
    Mainly, for me, the clockwork and form+function aspects are charming. And the corsetry. Might have to watch Dracula now..hrmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember seeing a design show years ago where the guy was into steampunk. Not sure that it was called that but it certainly resembled all of what you are showing.
    Not really my thing but I could go with the steampunk lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wondered what it was all about. Thank you for giving the definition. Now if I only had a definition to the definition. Maybe I'll at least understand a little bit of what my young relatives are posting about on FB.

    I like the pictures you showed. I must send a niece of mine your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love Jonathan Rhys-Myers as Dracula. The show is so good so far.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are friendly!


Hello!

I'm Ricki Jill. Welcome! I'm honored that you're reading my blog. I enjoy sharing my creative lifestyle @ The Bookish Dilettante. For more information about my blog, please read the Start Here page. Thank-you for stopping by, and I hope you'll consider following me via email.

Follow me on Instagram