Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

Musical Monday: Lanterns

Monday, March 31, 2014


Check out Ann's Post here!

Bloggers are forever inspiring me, and I've seen some very pretty lanterns in Blogland, like the one above decorated by Ann.  

I've been looking around for a lantern or two, and I keep singing "Lanterns" by Birds of Tokyo.  I can't get it out of my head!   Play the video and enjoy the music while you read the rest of the post!


The idealism of youth *wistful sigh*
I really like this ballad. 

"Lanterns"

Lately I've found
When I start to think aloud
There's a longing in the sound
There is more I could be

In darkness I leave
For a place I've never seen
It's been calling out to me
That is where I should be

We never carried days on our own
But now it's up to us to know
The weight of being so much more
We will find ourselves on the road

On we march
With a midnight song
We will light our way
With our lanterns on

On we march
Till we meet the dawn
We will light our way
With our lanterns on

As we walk out
Without question, without doubt
In the light that we have found
It is finally clear

Our day has come
And we'll stand for who we are
We are ready, we are young
We have nothing to fear

We never carried days on our own
But now it's up to us to know
The weight of being so much more
We will find ourselves on the road

On we march
With a midnight song
We will light our way
With our lanterns on

On we march
Till we meet the dawn
We will light our way
With our lanterns on

We held the light
To our faces
And realised
We were chasing

Shadows behind
Not worth saving
So burn it bright
Forever illuminating

On we march
With a midnight song
We will light our way
With our lanterns on

On we march
Till we meet the dawn
We will light our way
With our lanterns on
[x2]

In darkness I leave
For a place I've never seen
It's been calling out to me
That is where I should be


Lanterns can be used in so many ways…


source unknown


Look at the giant lantern on the ground!  I love the intimate dinner setting.




…to illuminate the night at a garden party…



I *heart* the willow baskets used as lanterns and vases.  So pretty!

…to illuminate stairs outdoors…




…or in.


You can decorate them, like Ann's at the top of the post…



…or Stacey's.


Here are some pretty lanterns I've found online:










(online only)



(online only)



(online only)


I'm looking forward to cool late spring and early summer evenings with lanterns lit on our deck. Until then, I can decorate one!

What are you listening to this week?  Join Musical Monday @ My So-Called Chaos!



Until next time…

Blessings!
Ricki Jill

17 comments

  1. I love lanterns! Do you have Hobby Lobby? They have lots of them and they are often 40 or 50% off. Thanks for featuring mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful lanterns.

    I love the lines,

    We held the light
    To our faces
    And realised
    We were chasing

    Shadows behind
    Not worth saving

    I am going to share those words with my daughter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought one a few years ago for the living room, but put it on the porch last year. I need to buy me another one for the inside now. They are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never met a lantern that I didn't like and have two of those willow ones! You found some lovely ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was overwhelmed by the lantern selection at Pier One last week, so I can't believe there are even more online! As for what I am listening to....the a-z challenge starts today, and while the angsty eighties were a blast, I have gone back one decade further for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've a birdcage one that I put succulents in the front. It's buried under 10 ft of snow right now but I still have hope of seeing it again. C:

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of these lanterns are amazing. They are truly one of my very favorite decor items. Thank you for featuring mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love these. Makes me think of summer evenings and cooking out with friends. The song is really cool, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great song! I didn't think I ever heard it before, but as soon as the music picked up I recalled hearing it.

    I love lanterns and you've shared so many pretty ones. I love that they can be simple on their own or grouped to make a statement. Filled with candles or other goodies, they're all good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love lanterns too! This song is great! I have never heard it before. I love your taste in music!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! Lanterns remind me of Morocco. Loving the willow baskets too. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. love this!
    I love lanterns so very much...you found some great photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes! I am hearting the willow baskets on the stairs. Makes me want to have a summertime yard party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore lanterns, and you've shared some real beauties, Ricki Jill! I have several scattered around our home, and have used the automatic-timed candles in them. I truly look forward to seeing them come alive at 5pm! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love lanterns, though I haven't used them for decoration before! Putting flowers inside them is a great idea. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely song, and I love all of those lanterns!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fedora and I are HUGE fans of lanterns and oil lamps....he has many, most of which aren't being used...sadly. But we both pin and adore lanterns (and sconces!) and dream of a future home with them as decor, practical lighting, and in every other conceivable use. :)
    Thanks for sharing those gorgeous photos, and the song!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are friendly!


Hello!

I'm Ricki Jill. Welcome! I'm honored that you're reading my blog. I enjoy sharing my creative lifestyle @ The Bookish Dilettante. For more information about my blog, please read the Start Here page. Thank-you for stopping by, and I hope you'll consider following me via email.

Follow me on Instagram