Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

Literary Friday: City of Heavenly Fire

Friday, June 6, 2014



This week I read City of Heavenly Fire, the last installment in Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series (Book 6).  I admit that I'm one of those fans who approached the last three books in the series with fear and loathing because The City of Glass (Book 3) ends well for our favorite characters.  At this point we (fanatical fans) thought that it was the end of the series, and we didn't want Jace and Clary to break-up or anything else tragic to happen to our favorite Shadowhunters: But what Clare did was write another trilogy, The Infernal Devices (a prequel set in Victorian London), and seamlessly weave that series and the last three books in the Mortal Instruments series together. She is a genius, and the best YA writer out there.

I'll write this post with as few spoilers as I can.  First of all, I can give my daughter the green light to finish the series.  Shanley Belle has waited to read books 4 - 6 because she didn't want to destroy the illusion of happiness if all ended badly, and it does not end badly.  :D

Here are the things I love about the book.  Cassandra Clare's imagery is beautifully written, and her descriptions are extremely detailed.  I find this helpful while reading about different realms and/or dimensions.  Of course this book does not disappoint with witty dialogue, even in the most dire of circumstances.  I like that questions are answered (especially about Magnus), and Alec's character is better defined in this installment.  Simon is the bomb.com in this book.  He and Izzy remain my favorites in the books.

There isn't much that I don't like, but I don't like multiple points of view. There is far too much attention placed on Emma Carstairs, her POV, and her friends from the Los Angeles Institute whose story will be told in Clare's new spin-off series, the Dark Artifices.  I appreciate the subtle glimpse of Tessa Gray at the end of City of Glass a bit more than Emma's introduction in COHF. Another thing that confuses me is Sebastian and the ultimate goal of all his nefarious deeds.  I totally understand what his evil father Valentine Morgenstern wants in the first three books, bot not Sebastian.  Truly I'm still unclear, but I must say in Cassie's defense that I had to re-read City of Bones twice before I "got it." 

*****SPOILER AHEAD*****

The long awaited scene, THE SCENE, seemed a bit unrealistic to me.  Yes, it was a beautiful setting in a phosphorescence-lighted cave, but it was in hell. Also, I know that Shadowhunters are trained from a young age to be prepared for anything, so kudos to Jace, but really?  Clare should be commended for writing the scene tastefully and reminding teens in a very subtle way to always be prepared.  

*****END OF SPOILER*****

I'm looking forward to reading the Dark Artifices.  There will be a focus on the Fair Folk (fairies) and I've always thought they've been the most fascinating of the Downworlders.  I'm also a bit sad because it's like the end of the Harry Potter series in our home.  Shanley grew-up reading The Mortal Instruments. I took her and her friends to MI book parties, and I can remember her friends staying-up all night reading the first books.  Shanley also won Cassie's fine arts contest and won an advanced reader's copy of City of Glass.  It's like the end of an era in our home.  *sadface*

What have you been reading lately?  This is a linky!





City of Heavenly Fire book trailer


Literary Friday



Until next time...

Happy reading!
Ricki Jill


3 comments

  1. Ok, so should I re-read the first trilogy AND the second trilogy before tackling this one? I love when an author weaves stories together, but it's been so long and me memory is bad...I think I'd miss stuff. :/

    I'm relieved to hear that it's good and you liked it! Clare really is amazing (we're blessed to live in an era of great fiction authors, especially for YA).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first trilogy a long time ago, you've got me wanting to re-read it and then dive into these new stories! I just added you to my Goodreads, hope that's OK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great series and one that I definitely want to read now.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are friendly!


Hello!

I'm Ricki Jill. Welcome! I'm honored that you're reading my blog. I enjoy sharing my creative lifestyle @ The Bookish Dilettante. For more information about my blog, please read the Start Here page. Thank-you for stopping by, and I hope you'll consider following me via email.

Follow me on Instagram